A superb and elegant William IV period library table veneered in decoratively grained ‘bird’s eye’ maple, having two slim concealed mahogany lined frieze drawers, and raised on elegant baluster shaped and fluted end supports. Bears stamp for the eminent makers, ‘Miles & Edwards, 134 Oxford St, London, 14945’.
Height 29” (74cm) Width 48” (122cm) Depth 25” (64cm)
About Miles & Edwards:
Henry Miles and John Edwards are recorded in The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers as active from their Oxford St. premises between 1822 and 1840. Their clients included the British Ambassador to Paris and the Empress of Russia. Commissions in the UK included furniture for Audley End House in Essex, Hampton Court, Burton Constable in Yorkshire, and Wynyard Park in County Durham. They were later taken over by Charles Hindley & Sons.
Condition and Details of Restoration:
This table is in original untouched structural condition. The polish has been re-finished, by our own craftsmen, by hand in the traditional manner. There are some minor old marks underneath the polish as might be expected on examples of this age; in our opinion the photographs are representative.