Set of Six Rosewood Dining Chairs by Holland & Sons – B1025

A quite outstanding quality set of six William IV or early Victorian rosewood dining chairs, having carved decoration to the backs, upholstered stuff-over seats, carved baluster turned legs to the front, and swept sabre legs to the rear. Bears stamp for the eminent maker of furniture for royalty, ‘Taprell, Holland & Sons, 19 Marylebone St. & 6 Silver St.’. This particular stamp was only used between 1832 and 1843 (from 1843 the firm became known simply as ‘Holland & Sons’). One of the chairs also bears the impressed initials to the underframe ‘IC’, most likely the initials of the particular cabinet maker who made them.

Circa 1840.

Height (overall) 33″ (84cm) Height (Seat) 18” (46cm) Width 19″ (48cm) Depth 20″ (51cm)

£2,500

About Holland & Sons:

Originally founded in 1803 by Stephen Taprell and William Holland, a relation of the architect Henry Holland, the firm of Holland & Sons soon became one of the largest and most successful furniture making companies in the 19th Century. The firm worked extensively for the Royal Family, being granted the Royal Warrant early in the reign of Queen Victoria, hence taking a leading part in the decoration and furnishing of Osborne House, Sandringham, Balmoral, Windsor Castle and the apartments of the Prince and Princess of Wales at Marlborough House. Holland and Sons also worked extensively for the British Government, for whom they executed over three hundred separate commissions, including the Palace of Westminster, the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Always at the forefront of fashion, Holland & Sons employed some of England’s leading designers and participated in all of the International Exhibitions of 1851, 1855, 1862, 1867, 1872 and 1878.

Condition and Details of Restoration:

These chairs are in original structural condition and completely sound. The polish has been revived, by hand by our own craftsmen in the traditional manner. There are minor old marks as might be expected on chairs of this age. The upholstery has been replaced, some time ago (probably this century) but is in excellent condition. The covering has faded slightly. In our opinion the photographs are representative.