An attractive and superior quality late Victorian mahogany display cabinet in the Sheraton taste, of pleasingly slim proportions making it ideal for use in an alcove. The top has a baluster turned brass gallery and chequer banded edge, above a single door opening to reveal an arrangement of two shelves, lined in faux moiré. Unusually, the glazing to both the door and the sides are in bevel edged plate glass. The door and ends have satinwood banding, and the lower part features a central oval marquetry fan to the apron, quarter fan brackets to the legs, and boxwood line inlay. Unusually, to the rear there is a small secret drawer, and also the label of the renowned maker and retailer ‘S. J. Waring & Sons’.
Width 26” (66cm) Depth 16” (36cm) Height 59” (150cm)
Waring’s of Liverpool was founded by John Waring, who arrived in the city from Belfast in 1835 and established a wholesale cabinet making business. He was succeeded by his son Samuel James Waring who rapidly expanded the business during the 1880s, furnishing hotels and public buildings throughout Europe. He also founded the Waring-White Building Company which built the Liverpool Corn Exchange, Selfridge’s department store and the Ritz Hotel. Samuel James’s son and namesake Samuel James Waring (1860-1940) continued the family business, opening stores in Manchester, London, and Paris, and also orchestrating a merger with the celebrated furniture makers Gillows of Lancaster in 1897. He was subsequently elevated to the peerage as Baron Waring in 1922.
Condition and Details of Restoration:
This cabinet is in original untouched structural condition and completely sound. The polish has been refinished, by our own craftsmen, by hand in the traditional manner. There are some minor old marks and fading as would be expected on an example of this age. The faux moiré lining has been replaced, by our own craftsmen. There is one small chip (approx. 3/4cm square) to the bevelling on the interior of the door glass.