A rare and superb quality George IV period Davenport desk in beautifully figured satinwood. This Davenport features a top which rotates through a quarter turn (to allow the user to sit at it), with a leather inset fall lifting to reveal a well with three interior pencil cedar lined drawers, and a sliding and hinged pen tray to the right hand side. Below this is a bank of four mahogany lined drawers, all with turned knob handles, raised on a plinth base with original brass castors.
Bears makers’ stamp to the top drawer, ‘Miles & Edwards, 134 Oxford St, London 40258’.
About Miles & Edwards:
Henry Miles and John Edwards are recorded in The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers as active from their Oxford St. premises between 1822 and 1840. Their clients included the British Ambassador to Paris and the Empress of Russia. Commissions in the UK included furniture for Audley End House in Essex, Hampton Court, Burton Constable in Yorkshire, and Wynyard Park in County Durham. They were later taken over by Charles Hindley & Sons.
Width 19” (48cm) Depth 19” (48cm) Height 33” (84cm)
Condition & Details of Restoration:
This item is in original structural condition. The polish has been refinished, by our own craftsmen, by hand in the traditional manner. There are some extremely minor old marks under the polish. The leather inset is a replacement.