An elegant and superb quality rosewood and brass inlaid writing table by the esteemed makers Collinson & Lock, of inverted break front form with concave centre drawer flanked by two further drawers, raised on elegant turned and carved legs united by shaped stretchers. The inset leather top is of genuine hand-stained cow hide with gilt and blind tooling.
This writing table is finished to the rear allowing it to free-stand in a room.
Bears makers’ stamp to the centre drawer ‘Collinson & Lock, London, 6316’. The locks are stamped for ‘S. Hall & Son, Birmingham’.
Height 30” (76cm) Width 50” (127cm) Depth 24” (61cm)
About Collinson & Lock:
The firm of Collinson & Lock was established in London in the third quarter of the nineteenth century with the partnership of F.G. Collinson and G.J. Lock, former employees of Jackson & Graham.
The company quickly achieved both commercial success and a leading position in the field of design. Influential designers of the ‘Art Movement’ including T.E.Collcutt, J Moyr-Smith and Stephen Webb were employed by the company and E.W. Godwin was held on a retainer to produce exclusive designs for the company from 1872 to 1874.
In 1871 the firm issued an impressive illustrated catalogue of ‘Artistic Furniture’, with plates by J. Moyr-Smith, assistant to Christopher Dresser, and in 1873 was trading from extensive newly built premises in St Bride Street.
As well as providing furniture for important commissions such as the Law Courts and the Savoy Theatre, they exhibited at many of the International Exhibitions of the period. At the Paris Exposition Universelle in 1878, they exhibited a number of items designed by E. W. Godwin. International recognition for their use of fine rosewood and intricate Italianate arabesques was to soon follow. This form of decoration clearly points toward the involvement of Stephen Webb, Collinson & Locks chief designer who was later appointed Professor of Sculpture at the Royal College of Art.
The firm was taken over by Gillows in 1897.
Condition & Details of Restoration:
This item is in excellent original structural condition. The polish has been revived and the leather insets replaced, by our own restorers, by hand in the traditional manner. There are minor old marks under the polish; in our opinion the photographs are representative. The copper handles are original, but were most likely originally brass plated which has since worn away.